Investigate: Client-side performance issues on Desktop App in 5.18 release branch
Community-release (5.18 branch) is using a lot of CPU on desktop app (both v4.2 and v4.3) and barely usable. Stark difference to 5.17.
The app is fine at first, but after using it a while, the CPU spikes and the app gets laggy, including channel switch, autocomplete, writing messages, etc. I've had a similar issue before, where it was caused by me having a lot of DMs/GMs
For now, I've had to stop using the desktop app because the perf is so poor and I didn't want to switch to using community. Chrome is okay for the most part
This started on community-release on Monday, most likely timed with the switch to 5.18 release branch
I recorded a short video of what my experience is like while I was in Zoom (ignore first few seconds when I was looking for the share button)
Issue created from a message in Mattermost.
QA Test Steps
With favorable testing reports and the follow-up ticket listed above, I'm closing this ticket. No new tests needed.
I tested this on the Mac Mattermost Desktop v4.3.2 with 5.19.1-rc1. The performance is massively improved. In 5.19.0 and 5.18.x, I experienced multi-second delays while typing a sentence if alphabetical channel sorting was enabled. In 5.19.1-rc1 typing is fast again, regardless of channel sorting setting.
I tested this Desktop v4.3.2 against community-release and I did not experience any performance issues. I only did smoke tests on channels and posts and @ buttons and / commands. I’m not quite sure what particularly needs to be tested extensively on this one. However, this seems like this needs a reply from .
cc on above